Rechercher dans ce blog

Friday, January 31, 2020

Evolving sound: Oklahoma singer-songwriter John Moreland experiments with instrumentation on new 'LP5' - Oklahoman.com

The anticipated follow-up to Moreland's multifaceted 2017 release "Big Bad Luv," "LP5" represents a new phase for the Oklahoma native's musical career.

"When 'Big Bad Luv' came out and it seemed like, 'Oh, s--t's really taking off for Moreland' ... I was not having much fun at all. But I feel like I have a much better grip on it now," he said in a phone interview from his Tulsa home. "When it becomes a job, it's weird all the sudden, because jobs suck and they're hard sometimes, no matter what it is. So, to go from 'This is my hobby, it's all fun, it's my passion, but it's fun,' and then when it becomes a job, it can take a while to sort of figure out 'How do I do this now and keep it where I actually like it and want to do it?' So, that's taken a few years to sort of figure out. But I feel good about it."

He said the album's more diverse and textured sound was influenced by his ongoing friendship and musical partnership with fellow Oklahoma musician John Calvin Abney. The pair have collaborated on each other's projects for years, and the multi-instrumentalist has played alongside Moreland not only on tour but also on high-profile showcases like "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert," "CBS This Morning" and NPR's "Tiny Desk Concert."

"I think this album was really informed by me and Calvin just kind of hanging out and messing with gear and messing with sounds in my home studio and doing demos," Moreland said. "We have a lot of gear that we share and stuff, so he gets a drum machine and uses it on his album and then I'm like, 'Whoa, that sounds awesome; let me borrow that.' Then we use it on my album."

Going into the studio

Produced by Matt Pence (Jason Isbell, The Breeders, Sarah Jaffe) at The Echo Lab, in Denton, Texas "LP5" marks the first time that Moreland has worked with a producer rather than producing his own album.

"One of my favorite Tulsa bands, Ester Drang, recorded an album at Matt's studio with him in the early 2000s, so I've kind of wanted to go down there and record there ever since then," Moreland said. "So, I went down there just thinking, 'He's gonna get great sounds, I'll still kind of be the producer, and we'll just make an album.' And then pretty quickly into the process, it was like, 'This dude is really kind of next-level, and he's really taking my ideas and expanding on them.' And it just felt like, 'OK, I'm not the producer; he's the producer. I'm just gonna go with it because I think the album's gonna be better for it.' And it worked great."

After the Guestroom Records release-day stop, Moreland and Abney will embark on a tour in support of the new project, including an April 11 home-state show at Oklahoma City's Tower Theatre.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"sound" - Google News
January 31, 2020 at 03:01PM
https://ift.tt/31dlUVB

Evolving sound: Oklahoma singer-songwriter John Moreland experiments with instrumentation on new 'LP5' - Oklahoman.com
"sound" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2MmdHZm
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Featured Post

Mysterious noise irking Tampa residents may be fish mating loudly: 'Pretty uncommon phenomenon' - New York Post

Residents of Tampa, Florida have reported hearing strange noises coming from the bay for years, and now scientists believe it may be fish ...

Postingan Populer